Re: [Hampshire] Slackware rootdisk (was: Removing master boo…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slackware rootdisk (was: Removing master boot records)
> To be honest, I ran the dd command suggested
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=4
>
> not really knowing what it did.

It did nothing of any consequence, as the first bit of a distro
installation would overwrite that part of the disk.

> Am I right in thinking the initial output
> is from lilo and lilo now needs to know where the partition is?

*Which* output?
*What* did it say?

Subsequent to those questions,
*Did* you install lilo?
If so, *where*?

> If so, can
> someone tell me what the dd syntax is to point it at /dev/hda1?

You would simply use of=/dev/hda1 in the dd line - and that will entirely
destroy everything you've done, so I really wouldn't advise it.

> I'm
> probably totally barking up the wrong tree - but thought I'd ask.

Why not just do a standard installation - messing about with fdisk and dd
is just extra complication.

You might also like to use an easier distribution - Slackware isn't the
friendliest of installers...

Vic.