[Hampshire] Slackware rootdisk (was: Removing master boot re…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Slackware rootdisk (was: Removing master boot records)
Hi all

Thanks to those who replied, the dd syntax did the business and wiped what
was there beforehand - however it's exposed a) another problem and b) a gap
in my knowledge.

I've got it to boot from the hard drive - but a few seconds into the boot
process, it's now asking for a rootdisk - which I've obviously not created,
nor do I really want to create one - I want it to stick to the hdd
completely - no cds, no floppies etc.

To be honest, I ran the dd command suggested

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=4

not really knowing what it did. Am I right in thinking the initial output
is from lilo and lilo now needs to know where the partition is? If so, can
someone tell me what the dd syntax is to point it at /dev/hda1? I'm
probably totally barking up the wrong tree - but thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Rob