Re: [Hampshire] Removing MBR

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Removing MBR
> Said PC isn't good enough to be considered anything but an sftp server
> (it's around 1999 vintage).

So it's at least as new as most of my machines...

> Problem is - I can't get past whatever was in the
> master boot record before. All I get in fact at bootup is "LI" - then it
> hangs.

So don't boot from the hard drive. Boot drom the installer CD.

> I know that I can get around this by booting from a DOS disk and doing
> fdisk
> /mbr. However - out of interest - if I didn't have an MSDOS boot disk -
> how would I do this?

You don't. The installer will do it.

> I can't find anything in the fdisk options which is
> anything to do with the mbr.

And you won't - that's a tool for a different operating system that just
happens to share the same name.

Unless you're doing something fairly trick (like trying to retrieve data
from a crashed disk), you're much better off just not playing with things
like that.

Vic.