[Hampshire] Removing MBR

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Removing MBR
Hi all

I'm trying to resurrect an old PC and install an old distribution on it.
Said PC isn't good enough to be considered anything but an sftp server (it's
around 1999 vintage). Problem is - I can't get past whatever was in the
master boot record before. All I get in fact at bootup is "LI" - then it
hangs.

I know that I can get around this by booting from a DOS disk and doing fdisk
/mbr. However - out of interest - if I didn't have an MSDOS boot disk -
how would I do this?

I'm putting slackware 7.1 on it and in booting from that cdrom, I can't get
fdisk /mbr to work. I can't find anything in the fdisk options which is
anything to do with the mbr.

Cheers
Rob