Re: [Hampshire] Big home backups

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Big home backups
Glenn Korbey wrote:
> to need to back up 200GB+ of data...for some reason my brain must have
> frozen as an external HD never even crossed my mind :o

I recently took maplin up on the last 500GB USB hard drive 'offer'.
I *know* I could have gotten similar of the net cheaper but this
fitted the bill for me and was 'relatively cheap at ~60UKP and
I could drive down to the shops and have it up and running in
less than an hour.

Note you have to disable the sleep timer for linux but other than
that it works AOK.

I also agree with Damian - just one technology is not the best solution.

For work, we have a fireprooof tape safe and I (will soon) host an
(off site) backup server. Long term plan is colo boxes and
purchasing a commercial backup service *and* keeping remote
(tape/disk?) backups.

Finally one thing I learnt from my Cray days - *test* your backups
will restore. When you actually need them is *way* to late to find
they are full of holes!

Jacqui