[Hampshire] Low Power(Consumption) Systems

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Low Power(Consumption) Systems
I have said several time before here but I'll say again
If you are looking for a really small & quiet headless server then take
a look at the much maligned Mac Mini
I have three of these now. Two PPC versions and one Intel. I got them
all of Ebay. The last PPC one was 110GBP.
I have added a Lacie Firewire HDD to two of them. Again almost silent.
They sit on the shelf in my Office serving
- Aldershot & Farnham CC Picture Gallery ( www.afccweb.net is hosted by
One & One but the pictures are served from the Mac Mini in my Office.
- My local Email Server (axigen) in a VM
- My local WIKI server + Bugzilla + SVN In a VM
- My Bacula Server ( Two 500Gb Firewire HDD's hold the backups )
- My Music Server
etc.
One of the PPC devices is a backup for the other one that serves the
Picture Gallery.
The OS on all of them is Fedora 9 (PPC) or CentOS(Intel)

The PPC ones run Linux pretty well completely OOTB.

Stephen D