Re: [Hampshire] Worthwhile screensaver

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Worthwhile screensaver
Damian Brasher wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
>> 2008/5/29 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:
>
>>> I'd quite like to have my spare clock cycles do something more useful -

>> For a machine not carrying out any server like tasks, I think a
>> suspend to RAM screen saver is about the most useful. It will save the
>> most power.

> minutes. The heat exchange sums may also be unfavorable as the
> machine warms up then cools down more often.

I'll change that bit to, 'if you have thermally controlled fans and they
kick in on boot or power on/back regardless of the system temperature
that's inefficient.' and leave it there:)

Talking to the list generally on the theme of low powered computing
brought up earlier by Paul T, who knows? - perhaps there is an equivalent
to a the motor cars optimum 56 mph in computer land, using Linux certainly
improves battery life on a laptop, no doubt about that, especially if
you've tuned services and kernel options.

Have a good weekend, Daman

--
Damian L Brasher
http://www.diap.org.uk