[Hampshire] iMac 22" *Rev C* with any Linux/Open or Free Uni…

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] iMac 22" *Rev C* with any Linux/Open or Free Unix

Has anyone got an iMac 22" 'Rev C' running with Linux (any Linux, Open,
Free Unix flavour, really doesn't matter). The 'Rev C' bit is important as
this is when Apple change the internal architecture's significantly, it's
still PPC but one of the last before Apple moved over to Intel CPU's.

Attempts to use an alternative Unix flavour include:

*Fedora 7 - Constantly noisy Fan, no X.
*Fedora 9 - the install runs but the system repeatedly freezes, no X,
*strange temporary lockups on install.
*OpenBSD PPC 4.3 - fail on install disk boot
*NetBSD PPC 4.0 - no boot
*Open Suse PPC 10.2 - Fan noisy, no X
*FreeBSD PPC 7.0 - blank screen on install disk boot
*YD 5.01 - disappearing links on website, didn't install
*Ubuntu have discontinued PPC support I believe.

perhaps I need to take a different approach and use Gentoo or Debian,
I may even try the, native, heaven forbid, Leopard.

Any pointers will be welcome as this has been quite frustrating for a year
or so of trying.

dlb

--
Damian L Brasher