Re: [Hampshire] Training courses

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Training courses

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58428100.hantslug.org.uk.8176': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 21 09:56:38 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Cpt. Haddock,

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:42:32AM +0100, Captain Haddock wrote:
> During a random walk on the net, I came across a company that provides
> training in C/C++ and the other programming languages and charges fees
> above £2.5K/person for them. It seems sort of strange that in todays
> world with so many books and online guides any company would be willing
> to shell out so much money for a C programming training course.

A good trainer can impart far more knowledge in a week than even
some of the most motivated people could teach themselves in a week
with books.

Of course, a bad trainer probably can't.

> What exactly is the target audience for such courses? The only one
> I can think of is if a company needs to build a team of C
> Programmers in record time, but even that does not seem to
> convincing cnsidering how programmers find it easy to transition
> between languages and could probably learn the language themselves
> without too much of a problem.

I would guess it is useful to build a basic level of knowledge in a
large number of people.

I haven't been on any C courses but I have been on perl, mysql and
postgresql ones. While of course it is stuff you can read out of an
online manual, it's so much easier when you are guided through it
with tutorials etc.. If you're going to give them a week off work
to study it would be a real shame if they wasted it floundering
about without direction.

Cheers,
Andy