Re: [Hampshire] mandrake 9.1 and ibm thinkpad x30 laptop

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mandrake 9.1 and ibm thinkpad x30 laptop
Quoting Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:

> m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have picked up a second hand ibm thinkpad x30 laptop and would like to
> > install an appropriate linux distro on it. After googling it seems that
> > mandrake 9.1 would be a good choice. However with it being an old version i
>
> > cant find it for download.
>
> Just out of interest Martin, why not go for the latest version of
> Mandriva, if Madrake/Mandriva is your preference? Granted, I ghave
> absolutely no idea how they distribute it these days and as whether it
> is available FOC any more.

My preference is for kde mainly but the main reason is to have all the hardware
working pretty much on install.

> Your wording (above) implies that you have found a good HOWTO that is
> based upon Mandrake 9.1;

Its a linux distro that work on different laptop models type of howto.

> the name implies that this is pretty ancient
> and one would have thought that later versions of the OS would include,
> and perhaps even improve upon, those features of 9.1 that make it a good
> fit.

I had thought of the later version however the thinkpad has 512meg memory and
8meg of that is shared for gfx. I would rather have something thats reasonably
fast hence the age of the distribution.

> The other approach would be to grab some live CDs and give them a bash -
> Fedora Core 9 leaps to mind if an RPM-based distro is what you are
> after, although I have always encountered issues with their live CDs and
> unfortunately FC9 proved to be no exception, effectively dumping me at
> the command-line on my Dell D430 when the graphical session hung.
> Ubuntu's has established a good reputation for reliability.
>
> Finally, as this machine is new to you and therefore presumably not in
> service yet, you could just pick your distro of choice and install it.
> The latest releases of the popular distros tend to improve on hardware
> detection rather than get worse and seems to be a shame to be going for
> an older, obsolete OS as your first choice.

I dont want to have to optimize the os on install and I would expect I would
have to do that with the newer versions f mandriva.

Martin N