Re: [Hampshire] mandrake 9.1 and ibm thinkpad x30 laptop

Author: Simon Reap (work)
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mandrake 9.1 and ibm thinkpad x30 laptop
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> m.nuttall@??? wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have picked up a second hand ibm thinkpad x30 laptop and would like to
>> install an appropriate linux distro on it. After googling it seems that
>> mandrake 9.1 would be a good choice. However with it being an old version i
>> cant find it for download.
>>

> Just out of interest Martin, why not go for the latest version of
> Mandriva, if Madrake/Mandriva is your preference? Granted, I ghave
> absolutely no idea how they distribute it these days and as whether it
> is available FOC any more

I recently did a test install of Mandriva 2007 on an X40 and it all went
swimmingly - it detected the wireless, it coped with the DVD drive being
on the docking station, the nipple-mouse works fine. 10-year old
daughter is now a Mandriva fan (after purely M'soft indoctrination at
school) - partly because OpenOffice.org is so easy to use, partly
because the Compiz Fusion desktop looks "fun" (all those wobbling
windows as you move them), and partly because of the Mahjong game it
came with! The 2008 version is now out and is still free (as in beer)
for download. Years ago I paid for a boxed set of, I think, Mandrake
9.1 - the manual was quite interesting, and it saved a lot of ISDN
download time, but if I'd had broadband then I would have simply
downloaded it.

Simon