[Hampshire] DVD authoring

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] DVD authoring
This isn't something I've played around with much. I got a genlock for
my old Amiga 1500 many moons ago, and have done a bit of capture on a
PC. Initially using my old Matrox Marvel card and Windows, and more
recently (OK, about 5 years ago instead of about 9 years ago!) I
reviewed a PCMCIA firewire card and did come capture using Kino on an
old Debian install. I'm back at it now with a couple of projects that I
need to sort out now though, so hoped someone could give me a few good
starting points.

The requirements are pretty similar, but not quite identical:

1. I have a set of .flv files that I want to get onto my HD/DVD recorder
so that I can then burn them to DVD along with some bits already on the
recorder. I've converted them to mpeg files (unfortunately using Windows
for the conversion as for some reason the copy of ffmpeg on Debian
doesn't handle .flv files - I'm assuming licensing/freedom issues) and
joined them together (a simple cat worked well enough which surprised
me), so the next stage is to get them onto DVD. I'm not expecting to be
able to copy from a burnt DVD to the HD, so assume I somehow need to
copy them onto a DVD-RAM disk in the appropriate format.

This looks likely to cause me to resort to Windows as the DVD format is
UDF and I've not been able to read that on Linux (although to be honest
I've not investigated far, but since this is likely a one off I'll
probably be lazy!). The disk seems to require 3 files, a .VRO that seems
to be an mpeg file with a different extension, and a pair of config
files with the .bup and .ifo extensions. I've on idea how to create
those though.

2. This is the more interesting and longer term one. I have some video
recorded on DV (and Hi8 for older stuff) that I'll be either capturing
onto the recorder (probably causing issues related to the above) or
more likely directly to the PC (the DV can come in via firewire easily
enough). What I then need to do is edit, create some titles and burn to
DVD in a format for standard players.

>From what I can see from a bit of Google work the best apps to use for

this seem to be kino/dvgrab for capture, Cinelerra for editing and then
dvdstyler/dvdauthor to create the DVD iso ready to burn, although LiVES
also gets a few mentions. Has anyone tried these, or can anyone suggest
any others worth investigating?

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: