Re: [Hampshire] Kernel Memory Models

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kernel Memory Models

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57b13100.hantslug.org.uk.31055': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 29 19:59:37 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 07:50:36PM +0100, Stephen Davies wrote:
> I was at a presentation today where the speaker said that one of the
> differences between SLES & RHEL was that they use a different way to
> allocate memory.
> He said that SLES uses a NUMA model whereas RHEL uses a 'flat' model.
> He indicated that the NUMA model gave a slightly better performance that
> that used by RHEL. This was observd in a DB Benchmark test. TPC-H
>
> Can anyone verify this statement?
> What do other stock kernels use and can the NUMA model be enable of a
> RHEL Kernel?

If I recall, it's a compile-time option, so you'd have to rebuild
your kernel.

I believe that multi-socket Athlon64 machines would benefit from a
NUMA kernel, because of the memory architecture typically implemented
on such machines (each CPU has memory local to it, on its memory HT
channel(s), and can access memory attached to other CPUs by asking
them for it -- this is basically NUMA).

I'm a little further adrift on the current Intel chips, but I
believe they're still using a flat memory architecture on the current
generation, and will be moving to something more NUMA-like fairly
soon.

I don't think either manufacturer's processors will benefit much
from a NUMA-enabled kernel if you only have one socket (even if you
have multiple cores on it).

Hugo.

   --- Hail and greetings.  We are a flat-pack invasion force from ---
                     Planet Ikea. We come in pieces.