[Hampshire] OT: the curious incident of the NTLDR file in th…

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] OT: the curious incident of the NTLDR file in the multi boot system
Hello,

Sorry for sticking a windows problem in here but i have tried all the windows
email groups i am on and so I am hoping for a different perspectice to solve
this problem.

I have been quad (w2k,xp suse and syllable )booting windows 2000 and windows xp
professional for 3 years but in the last 3 days
it decided to not work.

The problem I narrowed down to the ntldr (ntloader) file. If i take
the windows 2000 ntldr created by a repair install and then back it up. Then
repair install xp pro and backup the Xntldr file. I have discovered that i can
get either os to boot up by restoring its own version of the ntldr file.

I however cannot have one ntldr file boot both systems. ie it only boots
with its own ntldr file.

I would expect windows 2000 ntldr to not boot xp pro but ntldr for xp
pro has in the past booted both systems until now.

Any ideas how i can solve this problem?
Maybe by bypassing ntldr altogether?

thanks for your time

Martin N