Re: [Hampshire] 64 bit graphics drivers

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 64 bit graphics drivers

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x577b5100.hantslug.org.uk.31014': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Apr 5 14:48:47 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Rob,

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 02:31:35PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Two related questions:
> 1) I want to build a machine with a lot of RAM for virtualisation (I want
> to run a handful of servers on one physical box) purposes - probably 8Gb -
> the maximum the board supports. However I'm told I can't get at all of
> this RAM unless I run in 64 bit mode. Is this true?

Yes and no. Not in a single process. A PAE kernel will let you
address up to 64G but each process only being able to address
3.mumbleG.

> 2) There's a problem with this in as much as it seems there aren't any
> 64-bit drivers for the graphics card I have in situe. I got around this
> by running in 32-bit mode - but if 1) is true - I can only go to 3Gb of RAM
> (so I've been told) which may or may not be enough to run the several vm's
> I have in mind.

Depending on the virtualisation technology you may be able to give
more to each VM or not. It's not a problem in Xen for example. But
may be for qemu or KVM. Then again it may not be a problem for you
to be limited to 3.mumbleG per VM anyway.

Cheers,
Andy