[Hampshire] 64 bit graphics drivers

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] 64 bit graphics drivers
Hi all

Two related questions:
1) I want to build a machine with a lot of RAM for virtualisation (I want to
run a handful of servers on one physical box) purposes - probably 8Gb - the
maximum the board supports. However I'm told I can't get at all of this
RAM unless I run in 64 bit mode. Is this true?
2) There's a problem with this in as much as it seems there aren't any
64-bit drivers for the graphics card I have in situe. I got around this by
running in 32-bit mode - but if 1) is true - I can only go to 3Gb of RAM (so
I've been told) which may or may not be enough to run the several vm's I
have in mind.

I have to say the guy who told me this was a Windows fan so it may be a
Windows only thing. 8Gb of RAM is expensive enough so I'm trying to avoid
needing to buy a potentially expensive graphics card with known 64-bit
drivers available. Any (constructive!) advice very welcome.

Cheers
Rob