Re: [Hampshire] Online regex

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Online regex
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 14:40:24 +0000 (+0000), Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Hello penguins,
>
> does anybody know a site where one could put and text some regular
> expressions without squeezing one's brain?

regexp's aren't difficult, really this is something that a person can
do and a computer can't do. there are places which will let you
_test_ regexps, but expecting the computer to generate them is not
much short of saying "can the computer program for me".

> Customers are calling me asking to create regex to filter their mail
> messages out but I am too lazy to study Perl or regex, I wonder if there
> is any such tool.

You don't need to learn perl, although most regexps are "perl
compatible" to some degree (basically extra stuff you can use).

Really, just go and learn it - it'll be very useful.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org