Re: [Hampshire] Gigabit networking under Xen

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gigabit networking under Xen

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56dac100.hantslug.org.uk.4055': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 27 11:30:04 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Tony,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:48:14AM +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I've googled this but haven't had any luck yet. I'm running Xen 3.1 with an
> Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64 dom0.

Ubuntu's Xen kernels are really poor. They are full of bugs and
crash continuously. I have found them unusable for domU in
production so I dread to think what dom0 is like. Maybe HVM is
better though.

> The hardware supports VT and I'm using full BIOS
> emulation with (currently) two domUs, one Windows, one Debian Linux. The
> server has a Broadcom gigabit NIC. (Actually it has two, but I'm out of
> switch ports so can only use one ATM.)

HVM is going to be quite slow compared to PV because of the emulated
block and net drivers.

> The domUs both have 100Mbit cards, using the default Realtek chip. Having
> read the Xen networking guide[1], as far as I can tell each domU is only
> able to use 100Mbit on its NIC. Is it possible to get domUs to emulate
> gigabit NICs, or otherwise increase the bandwidth available to a given
> domU?

I don't believe so - the driver you get is the driver you get. Can
you run the Linux domain in PV mode?

I am not sure that there are any GPL PV drivers (for use in HVM) for
Linux -- Citrix and others sell proprietary ones I think. I have
skimmed through threads on xen-user that suggest James Harper has
some Windows PV drivers for block and net under development and
available for experimental use (GPL).

Have you tried KVM at all?

BTW even with paravirtual net drivers I do not think you will see
much beyond 100Mbit/s per stream -- the most I've managed between PV
domains on two different hosts on the same gigabit LAN is about
130Mbit/s. Will probably still help for multiple streams though.

Cheers,
Andy