Re: [Hampshire] Remote desktop options.

Author: Hamish
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remote desktop options.
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 14:23 +0000, Adam Cripps wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Peter Brooks <peter@???> wrote:
> > Maybe look into using XDMCP on the Ubuntu machine? It should be there
> > by default and will just require a few gdm tweaks, then get a copy of
> > a livecd that gives XDMCP or I believe there are some cygwin cd's
> > which let you use XDMCP from windows.
> >
> > Then the instructions could be, 'Put this cd in your computer'
> >

> > On 25/03/2008, Adam Cripps <kabads@???> wrote:
> > > I have just installed an Ubuntu gutsy box with drupal v6 in a small
> > > primary school, with a view to it providing an intranet to showcase
> > > their work to visitors of the school.
> > >
> > > The school like the idea of the box being headless (no CRT or
> > > keyboard) but aren't familiar with linux. I've shown them what VNC has
> > > to offer and they found it agreeable. The downside of the current VNC
> > > setup is that it is run from an existing X login. I could explain to
> > > them how to use Putty to ssh in and start a server remotely, but that
> > > might be one step too far. Is it possible to get a remote desktop to
> > > start on boot, and if so, how?
> >
> > --
> > Peter Brooks
> >

> Thanks Peter - I will ask them about that and look in to it. Am I
> right in thinking that they would have to boot from these CDs? If so,
> that might stall it, the computers here are quite slow. Running from a
> CD might tax their patience.
>
> Adam
> --
> http://www.monkeez.org
> PGP key: 0x7111B833

You could also try nomachine [1] /freeNX (I have never got freenx to do
what I want it to, nomachine "just works TM") - this way they can
install a windows (or linux) client on whatever they are using, and just
double click a link to bring up a login page. This can be changed in the
client to fire up gnome, kde, {insert your wm here}, and even just
"floating" apps - this is really nice, it looks like a local app, and on
a lan it behaves *just about* as fast as one.

Installation is pretty simple, they provide rpms and debs, you need to
install the client, node and server on the "server" box, and a client on
the connecting machine. You will need to do the initial setup of the
client, but after that its just as easy as vnc, the difference being
that they get a "new" desktop, and that its noticably faster.

[1]http://www.nomachine.com/download.php