Re: [Hampshire] Be There?

Author: Keith Buddie
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Be There?

> Sorry, this is going to be a typical ISP review request. ;)
>
> I get about 1.2Mbps down and 448kbps up on my current ADSL connection,
> which I believe to be an "up to 2Mbps" service, originally via Force9,
> now via Plusnet (owned by BT). A long time ago we were promised free
> upgrades to the 8Mbit service (ADSL Max) but this has failed to
> materialise. Having checked the BT information on our location exchange,
> the upgrade work has been completed.
>
> I also checked the Bethere site and it is promising "up to" 24Mbps
> connection on our line too. Now, I realise that our line probably won't
> deliver the full speed. It's never been the same since the builders put
> an angle grinder through it. But the Bethere product is about the same
> price as I pay for the current connection, even if I only get half the
> maximum speed, I'd be happy.
>
> So.... have people had good experiences with Bethere? Or are people like
> A&A worth the better service at lower speeds?
>
> Tony

Tony,
I believe that O2 [1] use BeThere to provide their broadband offering, which
is what I've been using for the last few months.
Basically I switched to them from Plusnet as I am with O2 for my mobile and
they give mobile customers a discount (when I signed up, it was half the
usual price but now now they've reduced the "normal" price so there's less
of a difference).

So, being about 1 mile as the crow flies from the exchange I went for the
"up to 20mb" option at £15/month.... to be honest, I never really got more
than 10mb down although I did get near the advertised 1.6mb up, which was
impressive!

I've now switched to the "up to 8mb" package for £7.50/month (£12.50 for non
O2 customers). Have just run tests using [2] and [3] I'm getting 6.7mb down
and 1mb up, remember that's middle of the evening on Easter monday when lots
of people are probably enjoying that last night of freedom from work by
going online!
Quite often, when I'm using apt-get, it will report getting packages at
pretty much 8mb.
Only downside is that they charge for a static IP (can't remember how much,
but enough to make me think "I'll just use dyndns instead"!)

I must admit I wasn't aware of the security issues with the router but mine
went straight back in the box as it was rather limited on features and only
offered WEP encryption. Currently have my Netgear plugged in, which connects
no problem.

Overall, everything seems fine but I just use it for a straightforward
domestic connection and as such, I've never had to contact them with any
technical queries. When I changed package, that went perfectly and through a
UK based call centre, if that's an issue

[1] http://broadband.o2.co.uk/packages.jsp
[2] http://www.speedtest.net/
[3] http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

HTH