Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Links to site from Google failing

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Links to site from Google failing
Nick Chalk wrote:
> Jamie's web site is experiencing a strange problem
> with links from Google.
>
> If you search for, say, "jamie's computers" on
> Google, you'll get several links to our site. (It
> uses the old domain name, unfortunately, but I've
> yet to work out how to fix that.)
>
> Sometimes, when you click on one of those links,
> you'll get a "500 Internal Server Error" response.
> Reloading the page - including bypassing caches -
> returns the same error. However, hitting return in
> the URL bar, or pasting the URL into another
> window, returns the page correctly.
>
> I've never seen the front page fail, but most
> others do. The highest frequency of failure is
> with pages like
>    http://www.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk/training/index.php?code=14
> and
>    http://www.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk/training/index.php?code=21
> These use a simple bit of PHP to look up course
> details in an array.

> I've checked the hosting provider's logs, and
> there's no errors reported by Apache. The failing
> attempts don't appear in the access logs.
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick.

I couldn't reproduce the error with either of the links you supplied, or
with the one that Al supplied either.

I did a google search for 'jamie's computer club' and was able to hit
the first result, 'www.*jamies**computer*club.org.uk/' first time.

I tried the second result in the list
'http://www.jamiescomputerclub.org.uk/sales.html' and got the error you
describe. I tried Al's suggestion of a wget on the link and was indeed
able to retrieve it. Subsequent retries with my browser with the cache
cleared, etc., still failed.

I hit it several at about 08:03 from IP address 90.203.61.64 if that
helps with searching through the logs.

Sean