[Hampshire] Bridging networks on Ubuntu 7.10

Author: John Hunt
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Bridging networks on Ubuntu 7.10
Hello,

I've been having severe trouble trying to get a network bridge working
in order to use servers on VirtualBox (and in the past qemu etc.)

I've followed several guides on the subject with no connectivity at all
in my virtual machines.

I'll describe my setup:
IBM Thinkpad r50e with built in intel ipw2200 (eth1) and standard 10/100
ethernet (eth0). Running a clean install of xubuntu 7.10 (I had the same
probs with other ubuntus).

What I want to do is simply bridge the wireless eth1 to a virtual
machine. All seems well when I create my bridge (br0), create a virtual
interface tap0 and then tell the bridge to bridge eth1 to tap0. I've
also tried using VirtualBox's VBoxAddIF instead of using a tun/tap
device, but that gave the same result.

I've checked my dmesg, tried eth1 in promisc mode, tried dhcp and static
IPs on the bridge etc. And in the VM I've tried static and dhcp
configurations on the same and different subnets. It's been a long week
of messing around not getting anywhere.

I've come to a point where I'm thinking perhaps my hardware simply
doesn't support bridging? Or perhaps there's blindingly obvious that I'm
missing? In my mind, and on these guides I've followed it seems like it
should be fairly simple...

If anyone knows of any common pitfalls here, I'm sure that'd help!

Thanks guys,
John.

--
John Hunt - johnrhunt@???