Re: [Hampshire] Domestic UPS

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Domestic UPS
Tim B (Systems) wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I'm posting this question on behalf of my mum. And I'm rather hoping that you
> have more experience in this area than I do (ie. any). Essentially, my mother
> is looking to buy my father a UPS (un-interuptable power supply) for his
> birthday, and is wondering which one to get. This will only be for
> residential usage, and it will only provide a safeguard for the server.
> Maplin do two models, and E-buyer do several, but I was wondering if anyone
> has any first-hand experience in this field. If anyone knows of a good
> Linux-compatible UPS that would be great.

The UPS itself is of course OS independent, but if you want to monitor
the status of the UPS and shut the PC down in the event of an extended
power failure then it pays to check compatibility.

Personally I recommend APC UPSes. I have two at home: A little CS-500
which protects the media box and a SmartUPS 1500 which is a lot beefier
and protects a couple of PCs and network equipment. I also use APC UPSes
at work and they work great with the apcupsd monitoring software.

HTH,

Tony