Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Record Deck Sought

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Record Deck Sought

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ace100.hantslug.org.uk.30333': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 4 08:12:50 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 497BD1F48AB6137F
On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 07:06:35 +0000
Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

Hello Sean,

> Apparently under a strict interpretation of British law there is no
> 'fair use' policy, so even ripping a CD for use on your own player is
> technically illegal. It remains to be seen if any court would
> prosecute you, but that is no reason to advertise the fact that you

It's a civil, not a criminal matter (copying for your own personal
use). It's the PRS (Performing Rights Society) that would prosecute.
The police, and subsequently, the CPS likely wouldn't be interested.
Even if you were ripping for sale, it's quite likely that Customs &
Revenue would prosecute in any case.

It used to be possible to buy a license that allowed you to record
material you own (i.e. not record from radio/TV) for personal use. The
PRS withdrew the license from sale because it cost more to administer
than any revenue it gained. This was some 25 years or so ago.

--
 Regards  _

You only see me for the clothes that I wear
Public Image - Public Image Ltd