Re: [Hampshire] CentOS 5 vs RHEL 5 vs WBEL

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CentOS 5 vs RHEL 5 vs WBEL
Steve Kirk wrote:

> The problem is that I don't have access to RHEL 5 currently. I've had a
> look into purchasing a licence, but the 'Server' distro is very
> expensive (for a private individual anyway) and the 'Desktop' distro
> doesn't appear to include quite a lot of the server software. So I'm
> wondering if I can get away with using CentOS or WBEL (along with
> suitable texts) to help me brush up on the skills required for the
> RHCT/RHCE certifications? My biggest problem is probably the RedHat
> specific locations, followed closely by sed and awk usage!
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how close these distro are to Red Hat, or
> alternative ideas regarding getting the skills for the exam?

Hi Steve, Centos5 is RHEL5 source recompiled (except for a tiny few
packages which you don't need). It would give you everything you need to
practice for the exam. As the exam is ~£500 and the whole course with
the exam ~£1800, I decided to pay for the course rather than failing the
exam due to unfamiliar hardware/environment. It is an excellent course
and does help with the exam (assuming you are already have strong Linux
skills).

John

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk