[Hampshire] CentOS 5 vs RHEL 5 vs WBEL

Author: Steve Kirk
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] CentOS 5 vs RHEL 5 vs WBEL
Hi,

I used to use linux (and Solaris) quite extensively in my previous job
however in my current role, it's pretty much all Windows (with the
exception of our SAN, wich DOES run on Linux :-)) so I'm getting a
little concerned about my linux skills getting rusty, particularly with
RHEL.

I'd also like to get something to prove that I do have a reasonable
amount of linux knowledge, and as I used to work with RHEL quite a lot,
I'm interested in doing the RHCE. I've tried the assessment tests
available on www.redhat.com and done surprisingly well! :-)

The problem is that I don't have access to RHEL 5 currently. I've had a
look into purchasing a licence, but the 'Server' distro is very
expensive (for a private individual anyway) and the 'Desktop' distro
doesn't appear to include quite a lot of the server software. So I'm
wondering if I can get away with using CentOS or WBEL (along with
suitable texts) to help me brush up on the skills required for the
RHCT/RHCE certifications? My biggest problem is probably the RedHat
specific locations, followed closely by sed and awk usage!

Anyone have any ideas on how close these distro are to Red Hat, or
alternative ideas regarding getting the skills for the exam?

Cheers,
Steve