Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x582af100.hantslug.org.uk.17799': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jul 9 13:57:50 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 01:34:16PM +0100, Adam Cripps wrote:
> Do Ordnance survey grid references begin with SU? I'm not sure if the
> etrex can do this - will check when I get home tonight, unless someone
> gives the definitive guide before then.

Some, down in this part of the world, do. The OS grid is based on a
square 2500km on each side. That is subdivided into a 5x5 grid of
500km squares, labelled A-Z (omitting I). The whole of mainland
Britain falls inside N, S and T(*). Each of those is further subdivided
into a 5x5 grid of 100km squares, also labelled A-Z. All of Hampshire
(barring a couple of coastal regions) falls in the SU 100km square,
for example.

You can then specify coordinates within those squares using
eastings and northings to the required accuracy: so SU424155 is the
entrance to the Zepler building where we have meetings, to 100m
accuracy.

Hugo.

(*) The Orkneys and Shetlands fall mostly in the H square. Rockall
lies in square MC.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
       --- There's many a slip 'twixt wicket-keeper and gully. ---