[Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux
<-- Warning: charset 'unknown-8bit' is not supported -->

Hi,

Recently while walking above Glen Coe in Scotland we had a problem
with terrible visibility (under 50m) and could not position our
selves on the map. Thankfully we ran into two other walkers doing our
walk in reverse and were able to get an exact fix.

On returning I thought having a GPS unit would have helped us
under those conditions - we knew we were in one of two locations,
but had no way of knowing which - until the cloud lifted.

You can buy a cheap Garmin eTrex Summit from Amazon for ?105 which
seems to cover the basics.

I don't go walking every week so I don't need a fancy GPS, just
UK Ordnance Survey grid references. If I do want to link it to
a computer I don't have Windows anymore, so I'd need something
that speaks Linux.

Any suggestions?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
 provides more security than wiping with decimal values."
    -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160