Re: [Hampshire] Recommended Book - But....

Author: Jim Kissel
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommended Book - But....

Damian Brasher wrote:
> I have just acquired 'The Art of Unix Programming' by Eric Steven Raymond.
>
> Looks very good so far and the combination of the technical and
> philosophical is well presented. How the two are intrinsically linked is
> illustrated well. Old ideas are making sense in a modern context - Linux.
> I am dipping in and out of sections easily.
>
> However and a big BUT:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Raymond
>
> This account of Eric Raymod is challenging (I struggle with this) and a
> very good example of how personal politics and Linux philosophy (or Unix)
> are two *very* different things. I am glad that Linux is very much a
> collaborative effort.
>
> Any thoughts...

I enjoyed "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" c 1998, but not "Homesteading
the Noosphere" which parallels my feelings about "Open Sources" (the
original) vs "open source 2.0". 23 chapters and maybe 1 and a half are
worth reading IMOSHO. But then how many of Bruce Perens 20 odd books
are compelling?

esr's views on, non-open-source, "life the universe and everything", are
not universally liked. (Now there's an understatement) but even the
central figure of the church of Linux, Torvalds, is allowed the
occasional rant. (re: original GPL v3.0 draft) Someone else express
this as "Excellence in one field does not imply excellence in other
(fields)".