[Hampshire] Recommended Book - But....

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Recommended Book - But....

I have just acquired 'The Art of Unix Programming' by Eric Steven Raymond.

Looks very good so far and the combination of the technical and
philosophical is well presented. How the two are intrinsically linked is
illustrated well. Old ideas are making sense in a modern context - Linux.
I am dipping in and out of sections easily.

However and a big BUT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Raymond

This account of Eric Raymod is challenging (I struggle with this) and a
very good example of how personal politics and Linux philosophy (or Unix)
are two *very* different things. I am glad that Linux is very much a
collaborative effort.

Any thoughts...

Damian

--