Re: [Hampshire] High bandwidth using DSL lines.

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] High bandwidth using DSL lines.
On 11/06/07, Simon Huggins <huggie@???> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 12:31:38PM +0100, Simon Capstick wrote:
> > James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > >I have a friend who can only get 512Kbps over their DSL line. I was
> > >thinking that they could maybe get 4 DSL lines, and then load balance
> > >over them to make 2Mbits.
> > >
> > >Does anyone know any ISPs that support this sort of service?
> > I'm assuming you're referring to download speeds.
>
> It's possible (nay probable) that his friend just lives far enough away
> from the exchange that 1Mb or 2Mb aren't viable as stable alternatives.
>
> I can't get more than 512kb where I am (in South Reading) due to the
> distance from the exchange (well I might be able to on Max or an ADSL2+
> service from Bethere but I don't really want to risk that just now).

This is true in this case. the DSL can only reach 512kb and it is
shared between 10 people, so it gets rather slow. I have also since
found a product from nildram
http://broadband.nildram.net/load_balanced/

So, this should be cheaper than a dedicated 2Mb leased line.
Of course, the contention might also be a problem.