Re: [Hampshire] Bash -> Dash for sh. Is it safe?

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Bash -> Dash for sh. Is it safe?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58678100.hantslug.org.uk.22153': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jun 2 22:37:15 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Saturday 02 June 2007 19:56, Graham Bleach wrote:
> On 01/06/07, Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> > I've seen a few reference to using dash rather than bash as the
> > symlink for sh rather than bash. Dash is mostly POSIX compliant,
> > and very much smaller than bash so scripts without bashism
> > run quite a bit faster.
>
> Did you see any benchmarks to prove that dash is actually faster? Most
> shell scripts I write and maintain actually spend most of their time
> running executables, which means I'd be surprised if there was any
> appreciable improvement in performance.

Well, it's not very scientific, but my boot sequence seems an awful lot faster
now. I suppose it's just because the init sequence on a typical SysV init.d
system starts and awful lot of sub-shells. You are correct that for normal
operation I doubt you see much difference.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

My organ doesn't work properly and emits strange burning smells
    -- seen on Usenet