Re: [Hampshire] Bash -> Dash for sh. Is it safe?

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Bash -> Dash for sh. Is it safe?
On Friday 01 June 2007 21:29, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2007 at 11:45:36 +0100 (+0100), Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > I'm not proposing to changing my login shell to dash, but
> > have anyone tried changing sh to dash and what kind of
> > problems did you see? I also think running my scripts
> > under other Bourne/POSIX shells is good practice for me
> > as well.
>
> On my Debian box I changed /bin/sh to point to ash rather than bash -
> thus all my scripts use it (except those that have bashisms but they
> are a) few and far between b) start #!/bin/bash anyway).
>
> It did shave a few seconds off boot up with no adverse effects.

Ta, I'll have to give it a go on my Lenny box.

> My login shell I left as /bin/bash since it's a bit more friendly I
> use bashisms like:

I know now it goes. Bash is quite a good user shell, and okay for programming
but a bit bloated.

> mv foo{,.old}       (expands to "mv foo foo.old")

> all the time at the command line.

Not seen that one. Cool.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon