[Hampshire] Re: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+questi…

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/6469
>     https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/6469

I'm no Linux buff, but I try ...

Well, Vic Watson fixed my box, 7.04 but he amd64 installation.
Assuming that Vic hasn't fixed your problem already, and that
some of the problems are the same, there could be two issues:
1) The assumption about what your monitor can handle defaults
too high.
2) Especially if you are using a proprietary or closed-source
driver, /etc/X11/xorg.conf may be incorrectly configured.

Note that to edit the following files you need administrator
privileges, I used
sudo nano <filename>
to avoid problems with file not being written.

The first problem is down to the default screen resolution being
silly - in mine it was 1600x1200, which the monitor couldn't
handle. Fix this in two places:
/boot/grub/menu.lst
for each bootable kernel, make sure there is a VGA=xxx, VGA=792
for 1024x768, e.g.

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20-10-generic root=UUID=a152bcaa-2553-464e-
b2c4-023fce8dc5ed ro splash pci=assign-busses vga=792

Just add the VGA=xxx if it isn't already there. Now you can
force the size of the splash screen in
/etc/usplash.conf
by making sure that there are lines of the form:
xres=1024
yres=768

If you still have problems, then it's in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
and I'm out of my depth! But the issue for my install was the
section dealing with the screen:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Default Screen"
# VRW changed this to make login screen the right size.
# Device "ATI Technologies Inc R430 [Radeon X800 XL] (PCIe)"
        Device "aticonfig-Device[0]"
        Monitor "Generic Monitor"

The device string has to match something already defined,
otherwise the login screen goes back to 1600x1200.

There's discussion about all this at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usplash/+bug/86666

Making a 1600x1200 assumption at initial boot is a really dumb
assumption, especially for a Linux distro with an African
philosophy and usage in Africa. Defaulting to 640x480 or
1024x768 would be much more sensible. When I did the WinXP64
installation on the same box, it wasn't perfect, but at least I
had a usable system at all stages.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691