Re: [Hampshire] https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+questi…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/6469
> Anyone who may have a few hours to spare and has enough "Grey Matter"
> available to solve my problem will be worthy of a pint or two
> (three...+).

Pints always welcome :-)

This is the second time I've seen this problem this week. I have
misgivings about the Ubuntu X configuration system...

> For the last six weeks or so I have been trying to install
> 7.04 (buying a new computer en route) but no avail, its installed but
> the monitor just wont see the picture '[Signal out or range]

This just means that it's misunderstood your video card/monitor
combination & is trying to drive things at resolutions/frequencies that
your monitor won't accept. An older monitor would allow you to see
something approaching the correct display - albeit likely very poorly :-)

To help you here, we're going to need your config file - so try this :-

- Boot your machine. Wait until the drive light goes out (i.e. it
finishes booting)
- Press <ctrl><alt><F2> and log in with whatever username/password you
set up during installation
- Type this (without the quotes) : "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | mail -s
"John's xorg.conf" lug@???"
- Hope that I've remembered the location of things correctly :-)

> Look at
> launchpad which may give you ideas or nightmares AND somebody stop me
> staying with VISTA

Don't do it!

I've now had the opportunity to play with Vista professionally. I can
envisage a fair few people being faced with a choice between Linux and
OSX...

Vic.