Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops, Linux, photos and wireless

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops, Linux, photos and wireless
hantslug@??? wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I am looking at Novatech laptops with a view to recommending one to someone
> else.
>
> The following criteria are either strongly desirable or else essential:
>
> 1) plays nicely with Linux (any distro)
> 2) can handle very high definition 'photos and display in high definition
> 3) works with wireless
> 4) can be used with multimedia
>
> Has anyone any experience, good or bad, of any model of Novatech laptop, that
> he or she would be willing to share?
>
> In general, can a) laptops and b) Linux handle high definition 'photos? It is
> important that the detail should be visible.
>
> Secondly, how high powered does a laptop (or desktop, come to that) need to be
> to run a web-cam? Any special Linux gotchas? Again, anyone's experience
> would be very valuable.

I would be wary of no-name laptops given the relatively low price of
branded equivalents Lisi.

In an ideal world a fast processor (or two) plus fast memory and disk
all combined with a good graphics card and a nice, big screen are ideal
for image processing. That equates to a high-end machine.

The problem with the budget machines is the ability to maintain them and
upgrade a couple of years down the line, as the components can be hard
to come by and difficult to fit. The more expensive branded machines
tend to use better, replaceable/upgradeable components, in my
experience. They also hold their value better from a resale point of
view, too.

Despite my run-ins with Dell I believe they provide pretty good value
for money at the moment, and if you pick your time right you can double
your memory or upgrade this-or-that for free as part of an offer.

If money is not an object (I am guessing that is not the case here) then
I would think about a Mac, although I appreciate it falls down on the
Linux criteria!

What is the budget?

Sean