Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops, Linux, photos and wireless

Top Page
Author: Dave Walker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops, Linux, photos and wireless

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e82100.hantslug.org.uk.28276': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri May 18 16:14:49 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 09D38B17936ADE15
On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 15:41 +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I am looking at Novatech laptops with a view to recommending one to someone
> else.
>
> The following criteria are either strongly desirable or else essential:
>
> 1) plays nicely with Linux (any distro)

Everything worked nicely - Only problem with my laptop is lack of ACPI
interaction, but processor scaling seems to work. The Bios doesn't give
you many options (but do you need them? :)

> 2) can handle very high definition 'photos and display in high definition

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the screen mine has.

> 3) works with wireless

Out of the box, using Ubuntu (Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)

> 4) can be used with multimedia
>
> Has anyone any experience, good or bad, of any model of Novatech laptop, that
> he or she would be willing to share?

The only problem i currently have is that it is running 'hotter' than
i'd like on my lap. I think i'll try a re-install and see if it helps.