Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: stephen.davies
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge
Stephen Davies wrote:
> Sean,
> The difference is that to get to root (unless you have physical access
> to the machine) required cracking two passwords. Direct root logins
> even via ssh over a network connection should be disabled thus you
> have to be able to logon to one account first and then try to su to
> root. every su is logged and as you know (from often bitter
> experience... :-X ) using things like Keon & Seos can make auditable
> access control more easy to manage.

Sorry Steve, but I thought you said earlier that you permit root logins
via the console, hence that comment.

Sudo logs in the same way that su does and I am sure that there are
additional layers of security that can be applied if necessary to manage
and audit access.

I will accept that RHEL or Fedora might put you nearer where /you/ want
to end up OOTB, and that your familiarity with those distributions makes
you more comfortable performing the remaining configuration required to
complete the task. I don't however believe that Ubuntu is inherently
insecure or incapable of being secured as you describe above.

Horses for courses and all that, eh?

Sean