Re: [Hampshire] Finding files not used in the last 365 days

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Finding files not used in the last 365 days

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e01100.hantslug.org.uk.9780': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue May 8 13:17:09 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 12:00:22PM +0100, Brian Chivers wrote:
> I've just finished building a new server for our Admin staff but I don't
> really want to copy over all the data as a lot of it is really old.
>
> What I'd like to do is to move all the old stuff onto one of our less used
> servers or even an external HDD so we have it as an archive.
>
> The directory structure is something like this
>
> /home/admin/Marketing/xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> where xxxxxxxxxxxx is all the subdirectories & files that I'd like to move.
> It's more the files I'd like to move.
>
> I've worked out that I can use the "find" command with -mtine 365 extension
> but what I don't know how to do is the actual moving the files but
> maintaining the directory structure on the archive so something move them
> to something like
>
> /mount/achieve/Marketing/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> where xxxxxxxxxxxx is a duplicate of the directory structure that it's been
> moved from.

I think some sort of shell script or multi-stage process is going
to be needed. Something like the following may work:

$ cd /home/admin/Marketing
$ find -type f -mtime 365 | sed -e s:/[^/]*$:: | sort -u | xargs mkdir -p
$ find -type f -mtime 365 -exec mv {} /mount/achieve/Marketing/{}

Hugo.

PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
--- Great oxymorons of the world, no. 3: Military Intelligence ---