Re: [Hampshire] Help diagnosing a kernal panic

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Help diagnosing a kernal panic
David Ramsden wrote:
> Brian Chivers wrote:
>> Three times in the last three weeks our main Samba server has tripped
>> over giving the information below in /var/log/messages
>>
> [snip]
>> Would you say that it's the smbd process on line 15 that's causing the
>> system to trip over ??
>>
>> The system has been running fine for almost 3 years now so I'm not sure
>> why it has suddenly started doing this, I've not installed any new
>> software or run any updates since it was installed, I know this is bad
>> but it's a Fedora Core 3 box and with the closure of the fedora legecy
>> project it's not that simple to do updates.
>>
> [snip]
>
> If nothing has been updated then you're probably looking at a hardware
> problem. First thing that springs to mind is bad memory.
>
> I had a DNS server that did this. It was running fine for years and then
> out of the blue it fell over with a kernel panic and did this a few
> times over the course of a few days. Nothing had been updated or changed.
>
> Can you afford any downtime over night or at the weekend to run
> memtest86 on the server?
>
> Regards,
> David.

Not really as it's our central server (LDAP/SAMBA) so would take everything offline.

What I think I'll do is open the box and try cleaning the contacts on the memory and re seat
everything and see if that helps. After 3 years on 24/7 I guess things might have moved slightly and
be a little dusty :-)

Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College