Re: [Hampshire] removing a broken pakage.

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] removing a broken pakage.
Hi David.

here is the output from export

marvin:/home/testermike/brother# export COLUMNS=100; dpkg -l | grep mfc240
iFR mfc240ccupswrapper       1.0.0-9             Brother CUPS PTouch
Printer Definitions
ii  mfc240clpr                          1.0.0-9             Brother lpr
Inkjet Printer Definitions

this is what I got when trying to remove the above files

marvin:/home/testermike/brother# dpkg -r iFR mfc240ccupswrapper-1.0.0-9
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove ifr which isn't installed.
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove mfc240ccupswrapper-1.0.0-9
which isn't installed.

further evidence of a mess:

marvin:/home/testermike/brother# dpkg --configure mfc240ccupswrapper
dpkg: error processing mfc240ccupswrapper (--configure):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting configuration.
mfc240ccupswrapper

the reinstall produced the same long list of errors posted in my last
e-mail.

dpkg doesn't seem to have an option to reinstall (like apt does) for
broken packages, so I'm stumped.

cheers so far.

Mike