Re: [Hampshire] Linux (or BSD) distributions for Snort?

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux (or BSD) distributions for Snort?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5702b100.hantslug.org.uk.19698': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 2 00:05:07 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 21:14:06 +0000 (+0000), David Ramsden wrote:
>> The server is running Debian stable, for now. Normally this doesn't
>> present a problem but Snort in Debian is really out of date. Even
>> unstable has quite a dated version and now I've hit a problem where some
>
> Well it won't help you if unstable is outdated too, but backports.org
> can be handy. I've had to backport a few things (including newer
> upstream versions occasionally), normally it's pretty easy, sometimes
> it's an absolute doddle, sometimes it's not (tomcat 5.5.20 on sarge
> springs to mind - ECJ and Kaffe are substantially different from sarge
> to etch).

Initially I used backports.org to go from snort version 2.3.2 to 2.3.3.

So tonight I installed snort version 2.6.1.3 from source, using
checkinstall to create a Debian package and hacked the init script from
the original package.

I wasn't able to compile snort with "Flexible Response" (which was a
requirement) because one of the libraries this depends on is once again
out dated and there's no backport available.. and I was being lazy and
decided against compiling the required library from source.

I think OpenBSD is the way forward for my particular needs this time around.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
David.
--