Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x582d7100.hantslug.org.uk.19029': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Feb 26 11:54:20 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:32:00 +0000 (+0000), Alan Pope wrote:
>> Of course the first question is "why?". Why try and play the videos that are specifically designed
>> for non-Linux platforms when the Linux native ones work?
>>
>> *boggle*
>
> "Because they look better" might have been a reason, however last time
> someone did a comparison of talk videos (Alan I think), the .ogg was
> far and away better than the alternatives (and was smaller).

The OGG version always seems better quality than the WMV versions,
although it may be that ffmpeg's codecs for WMV aren't as sophisticated
as the Theora ones. The sizes are usually about the same, sometimes WMV
is bigger, sometimes the OGG. It all depends how much camera movement is
in the video, it seems.

Tony