Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody
On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 11:23:18PM +0000, john lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:23:04 +0000
> hantslug@??? wrote:
>
> > If I wanted to use woody in a sources.list, would I just substitute
> > "woody" for "sarge" (in my own sources.list)? (This is for legacy
> > hardware that doesn't play nicely with "modern" distros!)
>
> Lisi have a look at http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/
>
> you will see that Woody was obsoleted by sarge and that there are
> no longer any security updates.

Worse than that, the actual woody packages were removed from
the mirrors as part of the upcoming release work for Etch.

If you want to install Woody now, sans security support, you
will need to find/buy CD-ROMs or DVDs, or hope there are some
repositories left online you can use.

All in all it is probably a bad idea, even for older machines.
The kernel will be old, the packages will be old. It would make
much more sense to install a modern distribution then remove
things that were too heavyweight.

Steve