Re: [Hampshire] SIP based IP phone app.

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SIP based IP phone app.
** Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???> [2007-02-24 17:39]:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 06:54:09 +0000 (+0000), Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > Paul Tansom wrote:
> > > Can anyone recommend a decent SIP based IP phone application for Linux?
> >
> > Ekiga and Twinkle are both worth a look.
>
> Another vote for twinkle (ekiga wasn't easily installable when I
> wanted one). There is also the non open source XLite softphone but
> it's a tad complicated - I prefer twinkle.

** end quote [Adrian Bridgett]

Hmm, intersting, I've just installed Ekiga which went onto my system
with far fewer dependencies than Twinkle wanted to install (that's a
Debian testing installation). I assumed that, from the looks of the
requirements, Twinkle had a KDE backend requirement whereas Ekiga
(having originally been Gnomemeeting) had Gnome requirements. As such I
have far more Gnome libraries on my system than KDE - although I run
neither.

Anyway, I am now hooked up and running - except for the fact that my
sound is for some reason not working at the moment. I'd not noticed this
since I don't really make much use of it and didn't have speakers
plugged in until I hooked in my headset! Ah well, more fun to be had :)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/
Aptanet Ltd. | Registered in England | Company No: 4905028