Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x585b1100.hantslug.org.uk.13826': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Feb 24 02:17:57 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 02:04:59AM +0000, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> I have installed debian first and it did not recognise my lan card its
> aRealtek PHY RTL8201CL
> Pc is a ASRock K8NF4G .
>
> But installing Ubuntu on the same pc works..

Probably has a newer kernel.

> I know Ubuntu same as Debian.

I'm not sure how to parse this..

> Is there a way of Converting to Debian?

Only by installing Debian from scratch. Same for going the other
way.

> Some of the packages i need are on Debian can i saftly use the
> Debian packages via apt?

No, it is not safe to mix packages from Debian on Ubuntu or vice
versa.

If you're happy with Ubuntu then I advise you stick with it.

If you're not, which version of Debian did you first try? If it was
"Stable" (sarge) then I reocmmend trying "Testing" (etch), which
will be released as stable "soon" and has newer packages.

There are a lot of other things you could do, including installing
Debian from Ubuntu live cd using debootstrap and building a custom
kernel to reboot into, but if this sounds like this would be
challenging you may be best just sticking with Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.