Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help
On Monday 19 February 2007 23:03, John Cooper wrote:

> Looking good. The next stage is to use your network configuration GUI to
> turn off eth0 and configure
> wlan0. You need to ensure it uses channel 11 and Managed mode. Note
> 2.412GHz is channel 1. If you can't
> find the GUI or after changes check the following anyway :-
>
> iwconfig wlan0
>
> should report Frequency=2.462 GHz . Try adding
>
> pre-up iwconfig ra0 channel 11
>
> as shown below.
>
> Check Jonathan's post again and make sure ESSID is set to your wireless
> router settings :-
>
> in /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto ra0
> iface ra0 inet dhcp
> pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
> pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
> pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid MYWLAN
> pre-up iwconfig ra0 mode Managed
> pre-up iwconfig ra0 channel 11
> // pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK=somewhattopsecret
> wireless-key xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx
>
> probably don't need the last bit.
>
> Note that it doesn't do WPA with NetworkManager (hence the above entry)
> as the driver does its own WPA rather than using wpa_supplicant, which
> is a PITA.

Things were going so well

OK I did the configuration using the mepis wireless configuration tool that
failed, no connectivity. Then tried kwifimanager, still no connectivity Both
mepis and kwifimanager said the network was up but there was no connectivity.

I rebooted the PC and repeated but the same as above.

My wireless Access Point is on channel 12 (and works on channel 12 as I have a
wireless laptop configured and running on 12), should I attempt to change the
channel in the card configuration for 11 to 12 ( iwconfig wlan0 channel 12 or
auto) ?

Tim

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html