Promoting Linuix - was: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Vista ....…

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Promoting Linuix - was: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Vista ....it sounds like a brand of condoms
Graham Bleach wrote:

> On 03/02/07, Jim Kissel <jlk@??? <mailto:jlk@osml.eu>> wrote:
>> or so says BBC Click's reporter Chris Long
>> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6325867.stm
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6325867.stm>>
>>
>> In other news, the 07:45 newsreview or what ever it's called asked "Why
>> so much time was dedicated by the BBC to the coverage of the release of
>> a commercial product (MS Vista). On feedback person said that real
>> technology revolution was happing in Open Source Software.
>
> An alternative question is "why is coverage of the coverage of the
> Windows Vista launch being posted to a Linux mailing list?"
>
> Andy Smith tried making this point gently. It didn't work. YYF

To attempt sticking a more positive slant on all this, there are a
number of competitions going on where "vista loaded" PC's are being
given away as prizes. If all us LUGgers enter these various comps, then
should one of us win one we can immediately declare our intentions for
the machine - i.e. remove the malware magnet a.k.a. Vista, request a
refund for not agreeing to the onerous and unfairly restrictive license
terms and installing your favourite flavour of Linux (or BSD) on it, Oh,
and add Openoffice or similar for zero cost just as icing on the cake
instead of office 2007.

Here's my starter for 10 - http://www.steveallenshow.com/ - the gadget
giveaway. This one costs a quid though. Keep your eyes open for more.

Jack