[Hampshire] [OT] BT VOIP

Author: rmluglist2--- via Hampshire
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
CC: rmluglist2
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] BT VOIP
Hi all

Does anyone know anything about BT's switch from landline to voip? I have
a specific question which I can't google an answer to and BT customer
"services" don't fill me with confidence.

The question is very simple: If you're swapped from landline to VOIP, does
this mean you have a broadband connection that you can use for services
other than VOIP?

Here's the situation: My Dad (well into his 90s) is being switched over from
landline to VOIP. He has never had ADSL / VDSL or anything apart from
voice "down" his line. BT have written to him to say they're switching him
over so he'll get a new phone which he plugs into his router (which they'll
be supplying).

This is where I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes. Does this
mean he's effectively getting BT broadband? As they're suppling him a
router - is that something I can plug a laptop into (or connect via wifi)
and it will work very much as we all have been for years? I wouldn't be
surprised if he has to pay extra to have an internet connection as well as
VOIP services - but I may be wrong.

Anyone know?

Cheers