Re: [Hampshire] Rogue Drive Errors

Author: Gareth
To: Rob Malpass, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Rogue Drive Errors
Sounds like a bad drive caddy. In my experience any disk thats not locked
away in a a non removable box is prone to errors.. especially if using
usb..

I don't think the mount/umount is handled very well in Linux when compared
to windows from a plug and play point of view. You have to be particularly
careful when it comes to externally powered hard drives.

Ive lost count of the times I've accidentally powered off a harddrive that
is mounted in the OS. Or accidentally pulled the power off etc..

Fsck etc is a part of the hard drive life cycle and have given up the idea
that external hard drive data is ever free from corruption or loss due to
power outage or cable issues etc.

Generally speaking fsck is enough to clear a point in time failure
hopefully you won't have lost anything but if it keeps happening chances
are u might need to get your data off and get a different drive..

Cheers G